Click and feed the fishes!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Getty Villa

I finally went to the Getty Villa! This is something I really wanted to do before I leave because when I came here 3 years ago, the Villa was closed for renovation, so I couldn't see it.

The Getty Villa has been built in 1968 to recreate a first-century Roman country house, the Villa dei Papiri, and is a museum dedicated to the study of the arts and cultures of ancient Greece, Rome, and Etruria. Another museum is part of the Getty Foundation, the Getty Center. I had already been there: it houses European and American art in a incredibly beautiful contemporary building on the top of a hill with a breathtaking view of the city of Los Angeles.

To visit the Villa, you need to make a reservation on the Internet and come at a specific time. They tell you it's free but you kinda need to take your car to get there and there is a $15 fee for parking...
So here we are, Efren, Orlando, Matthew and I, euh... wait, no Efren was sick so he couldn't come and Orlando had actually friends visiting and he had to pick them up at the airport... so I guess it's only Matthew and I! There is a very nice view of the ocean once you climbed all these stairs to the Villa. Ok, we took the elevator, but at least 3 of them to get there!

I have my old camera with me (yes, if you don't know, I lost my brand new 3-week old camera at a pool party 2 weeks ago...) and it takes good photos sometimes, pretty bad sometimes, or from time to time, very interesting ones. As usual when I'm in a museum I run hysterically everywhere and I keep laughing (I exaggerate a little but not that much... Matt can tell). The Villa is very beautiful, the weather too, and the Greek Gods sculptures as well!

In the afternoon, we decide to have a little happy hour on the Malibu pier, close by, which has just been renovated too. I'm impressed by the waves here when only a few miles south in Santa Monica, they are not that big. The pier is smaller than I expected but there are two nice restaurants where you can eat or have a drink. We're lucky the sun is still there because as soon as it hides behind the hills, it gets chilly and windy here.

Enough talking, please enjoy the pictures!



The view from the Getty Villa on the ocean -------------------------------The Villa-------------è------

Inside the Villa


Sculpture ----------------------------------------------Caught!------------


Sometimes my camera takes good photos...


At the Malibu Pier -------------------------------------The Malibu Pier -------
----------------------------------------------(my camera did the filter...don't know how though!)


Matthew and I on the Malibu Pier

No comments:

Post a Comment